What happens at a Big Fat Expat Meet Up?
Time for a girls’s night out? Are you ready to have a good laugh? Expat women have always thrived on sharing stories – it’s what keeps us sane in this expat life.
Two Fat Expats focuses in every week on sharing stories from the expat world across the spectrum of emotions and experiences. Sometimes they’re funny, sometimes sad and sometimes serious. Always though, straight from the heart. We constantly look for ways to inform, share and entertain our listeners.
With our Big Fat Expats Meet Ups, we hope to give more of our listeners or even people coming into contact with us for the first time the opportunity to share their own story in a live, so slightly daunting, but extremely supportive environment of other expats.
How can you prepare to share a story with your fellow Big Fat Expat Meetup Attendees?
- Pick a story that you love. Your story should be true, personal, and related in some way to the theme.
- Tell it to several different people you know to see if they would like to hear it in a live storytelling environment.
- Write about the story or create an outline. Focus on the moments that push the story forward; cut out things that don’t.
- Edit. Ask yourself: How did the experience change me? Include places for self-reflection in your story. How is the story universal? What larger themes does my story touch upon? Does my story have details that make the story come alive? Add them.
- Pare the story down to an outline with a clear beginning (may tie into theme), several plot points or turning point in the middle, and a clear ending (that resolves the story) including the final line of your story. Don’t be afraid to get into the emotional meat of your story right away.
- Rehearse your story. Time yourself; trim the story as needed so it is 4 1/2 – 5 minutes long. Practice out loud until you can tell it without notes, props or cues in under 5 minutes. When you think you are ready rehearse some more.
- Come to the Big Fat Expat Meetup and Share Your Story**
** not everyone that comes to a Big Fat Expat Meetup has to share their story, it’s completely voluntary, there are sharers and there are listeners in the world and we absolutely appreciate that. however if you would like to share your story email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can slot you into the schedule for the event in your town